Tuesday 13 December 2016

Snow Dog 22: Hound Dog - Found at Eldon Square, Newcastle

Hello again.


My name is Blob Thing and I am a small pink soft toy.  Together with my sister Winefride I have toured across Tyne and Wear over the course of two weeks and together we have attempted to complete the Great North Snowdog Trail.  This consisted of us having to find sixty-two Snowdogs and ninety-seven little Snowdogs.  That's one hundred and fifty-nine dogs in total.


And that's a lot of dogs.


We almost succeeded too.  We managed to see one hundred and fifty-eight of the dogs in their locations.  The only one we missed was called Patchwork who wasn't in Tyne and Wear at all.  Seeing Patchwork was impossible for us.  Never mind.  We saw every other Snowdog and little Snowdog and we are very proud of ourselves for this achievement.  We've also seen a lot of amazing sights along the way because Tyne and Wear is full of wonderful places.

And we've seen Patchwork too now, at the Snowdog farewell event.  That was a very special day for me, being able to see all the dogs again.  The streets of Tyne and Wear feel somehow empty without those dogs.


For more information about our amazing quest and the way we were helped by our person, please see my first post on this blog.  It can be found at http://blobandthesnowdogs.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/blob-thing-and-winefride-welcome-you-to.html  I confess that we all got more than a little obsessive about Snowdogs in the first half of November 2016.  There are worse things to get obsessive about.


Please remember that the Great North Snowdogs existed not just as an enjoyable addition to the landscape of our wonderful county of Tyne and Wear but as a way to raise funds for St. Oswald's Hospice which is our local hospice and which does amazing work.  To find out more about the hospice and see ways in which you can donate, should you wish to, please head over to their website.  It can be found at http://www.stoswaldsuk.org/


I will include the above text in all my posts.  It explains everything.  If you get obsessive about Snowdogs too then don't feel you should read it every time.  That would just be taking obsession a step too far.



Today's post contains pictures of the following Snowdog:

Dog Number 22

Photographed on 13th November 2016 although we did take one photograph on 22nd October, making this the second Snowdog we met.

This dog is called Hound Dog.

This dog lived, for the duration of the Snowdogs festival, at Eldon Square, Newcastle, just outside the doors of a shop called Lush and near a big clock, an attractive roof that lets some daylight in, and the man with his pigeons.

The dog was painted by Lee O-Brien, who is from Liverpool.  I've not been to Liverpool.  I must get my person to take me there next year.

Winefride and I got to meet Hound Dog twice.  The first time was by chance.  We were passing through Eldon Square, which a very busy and noisy place that I don't like very much because it's very busy and noisy.  It has lots of shops in it and I don't have much use for most shops.  There's one part of it which I quite like, Eldon Garden - where we met a Snowdog who wasn't even on the official trail.  Eldon Garden has a multilingual library which my person has joined and it also has an art gallery which is filled with hundreds and hundreds of nice pictures.

We were passing through Eldon Square so that the person we were with could be a particular present for someone who was in hospital having broken their back.  Winefride and I went to see that person nearly every day they were in hospital.  They've left the hospital now and we're a bit less worried about them than we were then.  My person took quite a lot of photos in the hospital and she wants to go back and take more.  The hospital contains lots of lovely painted Doulton tiles which came from an old hospital and those tiles are scattered across all the corridors.  So my person wants to walk along every corridor and take pictures of them all and of all the other art work that's in the hospital making it look much prettier than it otherwise would.

And while we were in Eldon Square we met Hound Dog.  Very briefly.  My person asked me if I wanted to have my picture taken with Hound Dog and whether I thought Winefride would like it too. I did want.  I did like.  But Winefride was reticent and didn't want to climb up onto Hound Dog.  So my person took one photo.  Just one.  And that was that.

But then we all got very into our Snowdog quest and my person decided we had to go back so on 13th November we returned especially to see Hound Dog again and we took lots more photos.  That was good.  We have lots of pictures.

Hound Dog was based on a man called Elvis Presley who sang a song called Hound Dog.  He was a very famous singer and lots of people still like him even though he died nearly forty years ago.  Unless he didn't really die.  My person says that there is a conspiracy theory that states Elvis Presley didn't die.  I think he probably did.  But I think it's a less crazy conspiracy theory than some others I've heard.  Like people didn't go to the moon.  Like the royal family are reptiles from outer space.  Like there's a cover up about vaccines and they cause autism.  Three conspiracy theories that are completely crazy.


Here are our pictures of Hound Dog.  The first photo is the one from October.  Winefride isn't even there.  She didn't meet Hound Dog until November.  Or was she a bit scared of it?  I can't quite remember.


You can see how excited and happy both Winefride and I were to be on the trail of Snowdogs.  We have had an amazing time.  And I think our person has enjoyed herself too.












No comments:

Post a Comment